Tuesday 5 March 2013

Wilbur

This is Wilbur (photo taken by Chanell Murray Equine Photography)  - officially known as Wild Spirit. He's a TB x Hannovarian and came into my life in 2009 - 14th February to be precise. Prior to owning Wilbur, I owned Willow (Madam Willow) who I evented to Novice level. Sadly, Willow had to be put to sleep in November 2008 due to colic - I remember the day because it was exactly 6 months to the date and time that my husband Ian died of a brain tumour. And it was just three days after we had returned from a trip to Norfolk where we enjoyed what was to be a final gallop along Holkham Beach together. A friend told me about Wilbur shortly after Willow's demise but I wasn't ready to take on another horse at that time. When I eventually went to see Wilbur, a pair of gloves that I thought I had completely lost (in fact I'd bought a replacement pair), turned up in my hat bag. I knew then that this was a sign that Wilbur was the right horse for me. Ian had been in hospital on 14 Feb 2008, and he had promised that he'd do a lot better than dinner at Stoke Mandeville for our next Valentine's Day......he kept that promise, and Wilbur came home. We have evented together but Wilbur's forte (and mine) lies in dressage. Although he's bold and brave across country, jumping coloured poles has never been 'his thing'.

No comments:

Post a Comment