Tuesday 22 November 2016

IWMT 2017: The last hurrah!

After much thought and deliberation, I have decided that the Ian White Memorial Trophy (IWMT) 2017 will be our last. This event has been far more successful than I ever dared hoped thanks to the belief and support of so many people, not least the competitors.

Ian and Moose at Hambleden
The IWMT began in 2009, just over a year after my husband, Ian, died of a brain tumour. He was 42. In his memory, I wanted to give something back to the sport we had both been so passionate about. And, in particular, encourage amateur owner/riders like ourselves to go out there and enjoy eventing.

The first event went very well, and I swear the winner was heaven sent. Why? Well, she rode a dark bay mare who looked exactly like Willow, my mare at the time. A tudor rose had been stencilled onto her hindquarters, which appealed to this Lancashire lass, and her cross country colours were the same as mine - green. When I heard how she'd described her mare in her commentary notes, I could have written them myself about Willow. The day after her victory, she contacted me to explain that the reason she had entered the trophy section was because her young nephew had died of a brain tumour earlier that year. She said she had felt him beside her in spirit that day at Smiths Lawn. It gave us all goose bumps!

I could not have continued this event without my wonderful friends and family. Nor could I have done it without the backing of Smiths Lawn horse trials organiser, Tissie Reason. A regular reader of the Team White column I wrote at the time for Eventing Worldwide, Tissie was thrilled to be a key member of the trophy team. Part of the reason our section has remained so popular is thanks to our amazing sponsors, from top riders and trainers, including Piggy French, Gill Watson, Jonty Evans, Nigel Taylor and Robert Stevens, to businesses and organisations, including Equilibrium Trizone, Protexin Equine, Your Great Mind coaching (Elizabeth Hough), the Event Horse Owners Association (EHOA), Feel Good Forever aloe vera products (Crisy Salmon), Bossy's Bibs, NAF UK and Sarah Alexander (Alexander Technique lessons). Last but by no means least, the rider who completes the event with the highest score also wins a prize courtesy of Chester the Eventer and his owners, Cala and Garry Russell, who generously donate a box of Say It With Brownies.

Friends and supporters of IWMT
It is now time for me to move on as I feel my life is transitioning into another new and exciting phase. I know Ian would understand my desire to live in the 'here and now' and follow my dreams. After all, I witnessed his pain and anguish at knowing that he would never have the chance to fulfill all of his. On his behalf, I want to thank every one of our competitors who have been involved in this competition - we really couldn't do this without you. Here's to a successful final event - thank you to our sponsors for continuing their support to the final hurdle - see you in August at Smiths Lawn Horse Trials for the Cathean Ltd Owner/Rider section. For more information, see the event schedule on www.britisheventing.com and http://www.catheanwriting.co.uk/Ian_White_Memorial_Trophy.html

Kathryn White is owner and director of Cathean Ltd Medical and  Copy Writing Services. She is a published medical, copy and equestrian writer with a passion for creating compelling text in collaboration with her clients. Her customers include pharmaceutical, healthcare and equestrian businesses across the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment